Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gilly to hang up his gloves

Aussie wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist shocked the world by announcing his retirement plans. Gilly said that he would retire from tests after the Adelaide test ending today and from ODIs after the upcoming tri series.

Gilchrist said “It is with great pride and honour that I make the decision to retire from international cricket. I have come to this decision after much thought and discussion with those important to me. My family and I have been fortunate to have had an amazing journey full of rich experiences throughout my career and are sincerely grateful to all who have helped make this stage of our lives so fulfilling.”

Gilchrist’s announcement came after he broke the record for most Test dismissals by a wicketkeeper and declared he had no plans of retiring. He is the fifth player in 14 months after Warne, McGrath, Langer and Martyn to retire.

CA chief O’ Connor paid tribute to the great left hander calling him Aussies finest wicketkeeper batsman. He said that Gilchrist’s influence on the game had gone beyond stats both in terms of dignity and respect for the traditions of the game.

“I am now ready and excited to move into the next phase of my life.” He said. “Thank you to all my team mates and support staff who have given me the most enjoyable, fun career anyone could hope for and to the many opponents I have come across”

Adieu Gilly!!!!


Gilchrist Fact box:


1) Born: 14 November,1971

2) Test debut: Vs Pakistan in Brisbane ( November 1999)

3) Tests=96, Runs= 5566, Catches= 377, Stumpings=37. Average=47 centuries=17

4) ODI= 277, Runs=9594 Average= 36, centuries=15

5) Captained Australia in both forms of the game.

6) Was brought in to the team at the expense of veteran Wicketkeeper Ian Healy.

7) Holds the record for the fastest century and double century by an Australian and is the only player in history to hit 100 sixes in tests.

8) Will be remembered as one of the few players who voluntarily walk when he is out.

9) Holds the record for most dismissals by a Wicket Keeper in both ODI’s and tests.

No comments: